Applied analysis of spatial data using R (197700)
|Vježbe u praktikumu||26|
|Filip Varga, mag. biol. exp.|
|Vrlo dobar (4)||81-90%|
doc. dr. sc. Dragica Šalamon
doc. dr. sc. Toni Safner
Advances in technology, low prices and availability of GPS devices resulted in overall presence of georeferenced data and heightened interest for spatial analysis. The goal of those analyses is describing spatial ordering of different processes (resources, pollution, biodiversity…) and modeling samples with that spatial structure. Modifying and linking a large number of statistical methods for analyzing and presentation of spatial data trough different software can be intimidating for new users. Main goal of this course is systematical introduction of spatial data analysis using case studies and hands-on approach that will enable students to analyze, visualize and interpret spatial data.
We chose open source system of R to demonstrate the analyses of spatial data because it ensures input, manipulation, analysis and presentation of spatial data in the same environment. Broad base of R users ensure quality and fast expansion of different functions (using packages) as well as tutorials and literature in different languages (predominately English).
- Graduate studies / MS Courses taught in English (izborni predmet, 2. semestar, 1. godina)
To understand structure and content of georeferenced biological data. To critically choose and apply appropriate analysis. To show and interpret results of spatial interpolation of climatological (eg. temperature, rainfal etc.), environmental (eg. element concentration in watter and sediment, feed content etc.) and biological (species density, population density, genetic diversity etc.) spatial data. By analizing their own spatial data and using appropriate georeferenced layers to find locations uning spatial query (eg. temperature or rainfal span; habitat suitability etc.). To use open source R environment with no need to learn different interfaces of abundand special software and apps.
partial e-learning; independent assignments; multimedia and the internet
Ishodi učenja i način provjere
|Ishod učenja||Način provjere|
|Understand spatial data and work with spatial objects using R.||Seminar, written exam, oral exam|
|Graphicaly show their spatial dana using different graphical devices in R (screen device, .pdf, .eps, .png graphical devices).||Seminar, written exam, oral exam|
|Use online repositories to complement their own spatial data in R.||Seminar, written exam, oral exam|
|Apply and interpret spatial analysis using R packages.||Seminar, written exam, oral exam|
|Analyse and interpret relevant publications on spatial analysis.||Seminar, written exam, oral exam|
Tjedni plan nastave
- Structure of spatial data and available systems for their visualization and analysis
- Spatial data in R
- Defining coordinate systems and spatial projections to R spatial objects
- Spatial data visualization using R
- Using spatial software trough R without learning new interfaces
- Introduction to spatial analysis and methods depending on the type of data
- Data connectedness, autocorrelation with nominal scale attributes
- Point processes
- Spatial regression
- Similarity and suitability models
- Clustering spatial data
- Introduction to digital image analysis
- Student seminars and homework
- Bivand RS., Pebesma EJ., Gómez-RubioV. (2013). Applied Spatial Data Analysis with R (Use R). Springer.
- Malvić T. (2013). Rječnik osnovnih geostatističkih pojmova.
- Safner T., Miller MP., McRae BH., Fortin MJ., Manel S. (2011) Comparison of Bayesian clustering and edge detection methods for inferring boundaries in landscape genetics. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 12 (2), 865-889.
- Safner T., Miaud C., Gaggiotti O., Decout S., Rioux D., Zundel S., Manel S. (2011) Combining demography and genetic analysis to assess the population structure of an amphibian in a human-dominated landscape. Conservation genetics 12 (1), 161-173.
- Šprem N., Frantz AC., Cubric Curik V., Curik I. (2013) Influence of habitat fragmentation on population structure of red deer in Croatia; Mammalian Biology - Zeitschrift für Säugetierkunde.
- Spatial statistics. Bryan Ripley (http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~zhukov/spatial.html)