Behavior and welfare of animals for meat production (197698)
|doc. dr. sc. Ana Kaić|
|Vrlo dobar (4)||81-90%|
prof. dr. sc. Zoran Luković
Main objective of the course is to introduce students to the basic of animal behavior and their welfare. Students will study the behavior aspects of cattle, horse, pig, sheep, goat, poultry, and the welfare problems in the meat production.
- Graduate studies / MS Courses taught in English (izborni predmet, 2. semestar, 1. godina)
To be capable to manage the problems with the welfare management, construction and organization of facilities, as well as other procedures with different animals (moving, transport, slaughter preparation).
Ishodi učenja i način provjere
|Ishod učenja||Način provjere|
|Explain what is considered to be animal welfare for meat production.||Class discussions, seminar, oral exam|
|Explain the importance of knowing animal behavior in assessing well-being.||Class discussions, seminar, oral exam|
|Indicate ways of assessing animal welfare.||Class discussions, seminar, oral exam|
|Define the concept of "five freedoms" in the sense of increasing animal welfare.||Class discussions, seminar, oral exam|
|Identify the most important forms of animal behavior in the natural environment.||Class discussions, seminar, oral exam|
|Analyze animal welfare for meat production in different production systems.||Class discussions, seminar, oral exam|
|Identify the importance of procedures during animal transport for the benefit and meat quality.||Class discussions, seminar, oral exam|
|Identify critical points in procedures before and during slaughter of animals and explain their impact on meat quality.||Class discussions, seminar, oral exam|
Tjedni plan nastave
- Introduction to the course - Basic information about the module (content, literature, way of examination). Definitions of well-being. The link between the ethics of animal use and the welfare of animals. Importance of knowledge of animal behavior in terms of assessment of well-being.
- Natural environment and behavior - Methods of determining animal welfare. The concept of "Five Freedom". Freedom from hunger and thirst, freedom from inadequate accommodation, freedom from pain, injury and illness.
- Freedom of expression of normal behavior - Freedom from fear and stress. Biotechnology and the welfare of farm animals. Abnormal behaviors.
- Problems of animal welfare in meat production - Identification of the highest problems of animal welfare in meat production. Legislation in the area of animal welfare.
- Behavior of cattle - Behavior of cattle. Technological procedures, accommodation, nutrition for the benefit of cattle breeding. Specifications of the system for the production of beef meat.
- Horse behavior - Horse behavior. Technological procedures, accommodation, nutrition to increase the welfare of horse breeding.
- Behavior of pigs - Behavior of pigs. Technological procedures, accommodation, nutrition to assure welfare in different systems of pig production.
- Welfare of pigs - Welfare of outdoor reared pigs. The welfare of pigs in the farm system.
- Behavior of sheep - Behavior of sheep. Technological procedures, accommodation, nutrition for the benefit of welfare in different sheep production systems.
- Behavior of goats - Behavior of goats. Technological procedures, accommodation, nutrition to provide benefits in different systems of goat production.
- Behavior of poultry - Behavior of poultry. Technological procedures, accommodation, nutrition for the benefit of the various poultry production systems.
- Welfare of poultry - Welfare of poultry in egg production. Welfare of poultry in meat production. The welfare of poultry in alternative production systems.
- The welfare during transport - The welfare of different types of animals during transport and the impact on meat quality.
- The welfare during slaughter and impact on meat quality - The welfare of animals depending on the procedures before and during slaughter and the impact of meat quality procedures.
- Seminars - Presentations of seminar papers selected during the semester.
- Philips Clive, The Welfare of Animals, The Silent Majority, 2009, Publisher: Springer, ISBN: 978-1-4020-9218-3.
- Fraser A.F., Broom D.M. Farm animal behaviour and welfare. 1996. CABI Publishing.
- PDF presenatations for module content.
- Michael C. Appleby, Barry O. Hughes, Animal Welfare, 1997. Publisher: CABI Publishing ISBN: 0 85199 1807.