Study Programme Coordinator: Prof. Zlatko Janječić, PhD
In the course of their studies, students of Animal Sciences learn about the agriculture as a human activity and the basics of agricultural profession in a broader sense. They gain relevant knowledge in order to continue their graduate studies in the area of animal and related sciences, and work in agricultural technological processes. Depending on the selection of elective modules, they can be trained for independent work within their professional area or work on their own family farms.
During the first year of Animal sciences, students gain basic knowledge needed for the successful studies, such as basics of zoology, botany, microbiology, genetics, anatomy and physiology of animals, and others.
During the second year of their studies, students acquire more specific knowledge about animals and working with them. Modules that include working with domestic animals deal with breeding of horses, cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, poultry. In addition to this, fisheries, hunting and apiculture are studied. Not less important is knowledge about the quality and processing of meat, milk and dairy products, and animal health protection.
Professional project guided by mentors and compulsory practical work of at least two months serve to deepen the knowledge about animals and work with them, develop the students’ ability for individual and team work and business communication.
During their sixth semester, students independently write their final thesis, which is publicly defended as a pre-condition for the completion of their studies.
The bearer of this qualification is authorized to use the legally protected university degree of Bachelor (baccalaureus) in Engineering of Animal sciences and perform professional tasks in the area of qualification.
The engineers of Animal sciences are trained to manage production on agricultural farms, manage family farms, work at state and local government offices in the area of agriculture and rural sector, cooperate with research institutions in the area of agriculture, and in the field of marketing of agricultural products and equipment. Employment is not necessarily limited to the area of agriculture.
After completing this undergraduate study program, students gain the right to enroll to any of the thirteen graduate programs of the Faculty of Agriculture, University of Zagreb, under conditions valid for each study program. Students also gain the right to enroll to any other University in Croatia and abroad under the conditions set by these institutions.
Based on current scientific knowledge and contemporary teaching process, students will be able to acquire generic and field specific competencies that are needed to achieve sustainable development goals and to work in different fields of animal production. The objective is to enable students to manage their own family farm, to work independently within a narrower professional field in animal production companies, to work as state and local government officers in the field of animal production as well as associates in research institutions in the field of agriculture and in companies dealing with agricultural products and equipment. Moreover, the objective is to acquire knowledge sufficient to be able to continue education at the graduate level in the field of animal and related sciences.
- Recognize and explain position of agriculture as a human activity, particulary characteristics and importance of animal production in structure of agriculture
- Explain technological and economic requirements in livestock production, production of forage crops and grassland management
- Identify technological, health and economic requirements in breeding of domestic animals, fisheries, apiculture and production of animal origin products
- Argue contemporary requirements in farm management and animal production integration into European production and business standards
- Analyze technological, economic and institutional characteristics of animal production and recognize the advantages and limitations that affect production results
- Present the results of analysis by using modern IT technologies
- Propose improvements in management of farms, institutions and services in the field of animal production according to modern production standards
- Organize work and independently manage technological processes in animal production and conduct field and laboratory work in domain of animal science
- Recognize the problem, set research hypothesis and participate in writing of scientific paper in domain of animal science
- Manage the tasks of livestock products trade and animal husbandry equipment, and participate in teaching in vocational schools
- Use gained theoretical and practical learning skills in acquisition of new knowledge and insights in animal science (continuing education through formal and nonformal forms)