Study Programme Coordinator: Assist. Prof. Igor Kovačev, PhD
During six semesters of undergraduate studies of Agricultural Engineering, students gain professional knowledge in multidisciplinary areas of agricultural production, with the emphasis on agricultural mechanization and technology. Mechanization in farming and animal husbandry, horticultural production, plant protection and other areas of agricultural production are studied. In the area of plant and horticultural production, besides equipment and machinery, the study also covers the topic of production surface planning, and maintenance of amelioration, irrigation and drainage systems. Furthermore, the study provides the opportunity to gain knowledge in the area of finishing and processing technologies, storage and cooling of agricultural products, and production of bio-fuels from agricultural bio-mass. Similarly, techniques in animal husbandry are studied along with objects, equipment and mechanization needed for the production.
During the first and second year of the studies, all modules are mandatory. Students gain basic knowledge of agriculture (farming, animal husbandry, horticulture, plant protection, organic agriculture) and agricultural technologies (agricultural mechanization, amelioration and other technologies). In the third year of study, students have the possibility of choosing study-specific modules, as well as the possibility of selecting modules from all other study programs of Faculty of Agriculture, and other similar institutions within and outside the University of Zagreb, which are compatible by the level of study and the quality of the program.
In co-operation with their mentors, students participate in professional projects, which are designed as innovative programs with the goal of developing students’ abilities in individual and team work, as well as business communication. By participating in two-month practical work assignments, students enhance their practical knowledge about the use of technologies in agricultural production. During the last semester, students write their final thesis, The topic may be chosen among any of the modules taught on the study of Agricultural engineering. Public defence of the thesis is the pre-condition for the completion of the study. In their final thesis students must demonstrate their basic professional knowledge, the ability to collect information and the ability to systematically plan and solve technological operations.
The bearer of this qualification is authorized to use the legally protected university degree of Bachelor (baccalaureus) in Engineering of Agricultural engineering. The bachelor can seek employment in companies that produce, sell and use agricultural machinery and equipment; irrigation and drainage systems, finishing and processing capacities, as well as bio fuels production facilities. Bachelors are trained to carry out technical projects in all areas of plant and animal production, management of an agricultural farm, and work at state or local government offices. Employment is not necessarily limited to the area of agricultural production.
After completing the undergraduate study program of Agricultural engineering, students may continue the graduate study of Agricultural engineering and choose between two specializations: graduate study of Mechanization or Ameliorations. Students gain the right to enrol to any of the thirteen graduate programs of Faculty of Agriculture, University of Zagreb, under the conditions prescribed for each study program. Students also gain the right to enrol to any other University in Croatia and abroad under conditions set by those institutions.
Based on current scientific knowledge and contemporary teaching process, students will be able to acquire generic and field specific competencies that are needed to achieve sustainable development goals and to work in different fields of agricultural engineering. The Agricultural Engineering study programme provides basic scientific and technological knowledge required for planning, designing, managing and organizing processes related to different branches of agricultural production. Students will acquire knowledge on construction and development of agricultural machinery, agricultural facilities, soil-machinery interaction, irrigation and drainage as well as the advancement of technology in the field of precision agriculture and renewable energy sources. By applying the acquired knowledge of agricultural engineering and technology, students will gain skills necessary for design and construction of agricultural machinery and equipment, development of methods for soil and water conservation and improvement of production and processing of agricultural products. By combining acquired agricultural engineering knowledge with biology, chemistry, physics and mathematics, the study programme prepares undergraduates for solving problems in agriculture, environmental protection and exploitation of natural resources.
- Recognize positions and trends in agricultural production in country and abroad, with an emphasis on the role of agricultural engineering, equipment, machinery and facilities in agriculture
- Identify main characteristics of machinery and/or agricultural techniques, as well as a need for techniques in specific agroecological conditions in order to achieve the most optimal production results
- Independently determine techniques and technologies, systematically plan technological operations of the irrigation and drainage systems, dryers, silos, cold storages and in finishing and processing facilities
- Identify and explain changes that occur during technical and technological procedures of production, finishing and processing of agricultural products, production of food raw materials, as well as within the production of biofuels from agricultural biomass
- Shape and design solutions related to infrastructure as well as the processes that are conducted by using equipment and machinery in agriculture
- Critically correspond to trends in the field of development and application of agricultural engineering and publicly express opinions and attitudes
- Manage transport of equipment and machinery in the field of agricultural engineering, technology and amelioration
- Set up a research hypothesis in the field of agricultural engineering, analyse and interpret content of professional and scientific literature and collect, process and interpret data in the field of agricultural engineering
- Organize field and laboratory work, and conduct research in the field of application of engineering and technology in agricultural production
- Analyse and interpret information in the domain of agricultural engineering by using information and communication technology
- Reach a level of knowledge for continuing education at graduate study in the field of agricultural engineering , related sciences and other forms of lifelong learning