Study Programme Coordinator: Prof. Dinka Grubišić, PhD
Students are trained to conduct various plant protection jobs within plant protection departments of a number of expert and scientific institutions such as: the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Water Menagement, the Croatian Agricultural Extension Institute, the Institute for Plant Protevtion in Agriculture and Forestry of the Republic of Croatia, scientific institutes. They are able to execute plant protection tasks in organizations such as: the Ministry of Environmental Protection, Physical Planning and Construction, the Ministry of Economy, Labour and Entrepreneurship, domestic and foreign agrochemical companies and distributors of plant protection products, agricultural pharmacies, the Institute for Seeds and Seedlings, county and state inspection services, county offices for economy, agricultural estates and other companies. They are able to conduct plant protection independently on farms and in agricultural companies.
Based on current scientific knowledge and contemporary teaching process, students will be able to acquire generic and field specific competencies that are needed to achieve sustainable development goals and to work in different fields of phytomedicine. The objective is to make students qualified for research in scientific fields of integrated, environmentally friendly and organic plant pest protection including application of pesticide, phytopharmacology, phytopatology, weed science and zoology conducted at higher education institutions and scientific institutes as well as for further education at the postgraduate study level. Furthermore, students are prepared for starting self-employment and managing various plant protection jobs within plant protection departments of a large number of professional and scientific institutions, such as: the Ministry of Agriculture, the Croatian Agricultural Extension Service, the Croatian Centre for Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, scientific institutes, state agencies and ministries. Within the business sector, students are qualified for jobs in companies dealing with production and distribution of plant protection products, production of plant species for various purposes as well as in distribution and consulting centres.
- Explain the basic principles of plant medicine and to explainitsrole in plant production
- Evaluate the importance of pesticides on environmental protection, soil, water and food contamination and biodiversity, as well as to interpret the legislation related to plant health and plant protection products
- Identify diseases, pests and weeds on agricultural crops and ornamental plants
- Interpret the life cycle and ecology of pests
- Apply appropriate methods for pest forecast and to recommend the effective suppression measures by determined number or treats of infection
- Distinguish and assess the advantages and disadvantages of each of the available measures of pest control
- Carry out the protection of crops from pests (pests, diseases and weeds) using conventional, organic and integrated pest management
- Plan and conduct a research of the pesticides effects on pests, treated plant and useful and indifferent fauna
- Recommend adequate crop protection from pests in new / unfamiliar circumstances
- Evaluate the effectiveness of measures for pest protection
- Develop and present programs for protection of certain crops from weeds, diseases and pests
- Manage the project (program) in the domain of phytomedicine and present new knowledge and technology to agricultural producers
- Develop learning skills necessary for further studies and / or for further lifelong learning