Beef nutrition (152101)
Beef production is part of the livestock production sector, which makes a great diversity in production systems. This diversity refers to the different structure of the breed animals, different systems of cultivation, different quality of the final product customized preferences of consumers. In order to achieve the desired production and quality meat production must be accompanied by appropriate nutritional management, as one of the most important components of breeding beef cattle. Therefore, students in the context of this module to learn about the properties of cattle meat production, their specificities compared to other cattle production and nutritional needs of cattle for meat production. Students will learn the principles of evaluation of animal feed, and based on the natural features and the availability of food to choose the best nutritional models for a particular production. Throughout the module to handle all types and kinds of meat production by feeding breeding animals and offspring, feeding the meat production of calves to the feeding of the final category in fattening cattle. Furthermore, students will learn to independently develop the compound feed and meals for all the categories and types of production through of manual calculation and the computer program. Within the module will cover the environmental aspects of meat production, and the impact of cattle for meat production on the environment, and ways to this production through nutrition do ecologically as acceptable.
Type of course
- Graduate studies / MS Courses taught in English (Elective course, 1 semester, 1 year)
After completion of the Module, students will be able to build independently their knowledge by using information technology, applying knowledge in practice and working independently or in a team. The aim of this module is to provide students with the knowledge, skills and competencies for independent management of the feed management in meat production of beef cattle. The choice of feed management, according to the available sources of feedstuffs with the aim of optimizing production, animal health and the economic competitiveness of the production in accordance with the desired product quality.
Types of instruction
- Laboratory practice/exercises
Calculating the nutritional requirements and nutritive value of feed for cattle in meat production. Practical calculating of compound feed and rations for cattle in meat production.
The seminar related to the characteristics of feeding beef cattle. Students independently prepare a final project in which they analyze complete nutritional management in cattle meat production.
|Learning outcome||Evaluation methods|
|Explain special features of anatomically-physiological characteristics of cattle in meat production.||Written or oral|
|Identify biological role, the required amounts, signs of excess and lack of nutrients in the beef nutrition.||Written or oral|
|Identify the types of feed materials according to their nutrition for cattle in meat production.||Written or oral|
|Calculating assess the needs of beef cattle for energy, protein, amino acids, minerals and vitamins from the basic information about the animal.||Written|
|Calculating evaluate nutritional feeding of beef cattle.||Written|
|Recognize the impact of nutrition on the well-being (health), animals and the environment.||Written or oral|
|Create meals for cattle in meat production.||Written|
• Lectures and auditory exercises.
• Assistance in the preparation of seminars and possible, graduate theses.
• Participation in teaching.
• Preparation and presentation of a seminar paper.
• Design and oral exam.
Weekly class schedule
- Anatomy and physiology of beef cattle.
- Nutritive requirements of beef cattle; energy, fiber, vitamins.
- Nutritive requirements of beef cattle; proteins, minerals.
- Evaluation of feedstuffs in beef production.
- Forages in beef production.
- Compound feedstuffs in beef production.
- Feeding systems in beef production on pastures.
- Feeding systems in calves production.
- Feeding systems in beef production.
- Feeding systems in meat production of adult cattle.
- Feeding systems in ecologically beef production.
- Ecological aspects of cattle meat production
- Preparation of nutritive strategy in cattle meat production – formulation of compound feed.
- Preparation of nutritive strategy in cattle meat production – diet formulation.
- Project presentation and oral exam.
- National Research Council (2000.):Nutrient Requirements of Beef Cattle, National Academies Press
- T.W. Perry and M.J. Cecava (1995): Beef cattle Feeding and Nutrition, Academic Press
- Internal Materials
- W. G. Pond, D. C. Church, K. R. Pond and P. A. Schoknecht (2004): Basic Animal Nutrition and Feeding, Wiley
Similar course at related universities
- Aspetti pratici di gestione nell´allevamento del bovino da carne, Universita degli studi di Milano, Italy
- Beef Cattle Nutrition, University of Guelph, Canada