Basics of viticulture (226415)
The aim of this course is to obtain knowledge about viticulture for students that are studying agroecology, organic agriculture, plant protection, and similar study programs where viticulture is not in the focus of their interests, but just one of the different production systems. The knowledge obtained on this course is adjusted to this level which is necessary for a complete understanding of their study programs. Students will be introduced with the importance of viticulture for economy, and they will learn about biology and ecology of grapevine, grapevine management practices used in production and the most important grapevine varieties and rootstocks.
- Undergraduate studies / BS Courses taught in English (Izborni predmet, 1. semestar, 1. godina)
Ishodi učenja i način provjere
|Ishod učenja||Način provjere|
|Explain the importance of viticulture for global and Croatian economy.|
|Recognize and describe the structure and function of grapevine organs.|
|Describe phenology of grapevine and the most important physiological processes within grapevine.|
|Evaluate climatic data and their suitability for grapevine cultivation.|
|Explain the importance of vine rootstocks and select varieties appropriate for specific viticultural areas.|
|Describe the most important vineyard and vines management practices and argument their importance.|
|Describe the procedure of multiplication and production of plant material.|
|Prepare and present a seminar work on a specific subject in collaboration with the group of students.|
Regular class attendance. Active participation in all forms of teaching. Preparation and presentation of a seminar paper.
Tjedni plan nastave
- History of the grapevine cultivation. Grapevine and their relatives.
- The meaning of viticulture as economic branch in Croatia and in the world.
- Structure and function of vegetatives and generatives organs of the grapevine.
- Annual biological cycle of the grapevine. Influence of climatic factors on the proper conduct of individual phenological
- The most important physiological processes of the grapevine.
- Environmental conditions suitable for grapevine cultivation. Climatic indicators in assessing the suitability of areas for grapevine cultivation. Damage caused by extreme climatic conditions.
- Regionalization of wine-growing areas in the Republic of Croatia.
- Grapevine propagation and vineyard nursery.
- Importance of rootstocks in viticulture. Classification of grapevine rootstocks by origin. Features of the most important grapevine rootstocks.
- Raising vineyards. Organization of production space. Correction of physical, chemical and biological soil properties. Planting techniques.
- Vine training systems. Forming a training system and setting up a support in the vineyard. Management of a young vineyard.
- Vineyard soil management.
- Nutrition and fertilization of the vineyard.
- Management practices in the vineyard – winter and summer (green) pruning
- Characteristics of the most important varieties grown in Croatia.
- Mirošević, N., Karoglan Kontić, J. (2008). Vinogradarstvo. Nakladni zavod Globus, Zagreb
- Maletić, E., Karoglan Kontić, J., Pejić, I. (2008). Vinova loza - ampelografija, ekologija, oplemenjivanje. Školska knjiga, Zagreb
- Mirošević, N. (2007). Razmnožavanje loze i lozno rasadničarstvo. Golden marketing - Tehnička knjiga, Zagreb