Caninology: biology, ecology and breeding of dogs (197695)
Caninology is the science of dogs and their breed characteristics. Also students learn about the origins of dogs, their domestication and systematic affiliation. They learn about morphological, anatomical and biological characteristics of dogs and their reproduction, nutrition and accommodation. The inescapable part is the education and training of dogs. It is important to define the meaning of different caninological associations and their classification of individual breeds into appropriate groups and subgroups. Within the defined groups, breed characteristics as well as international standards and working characteristics are presented.
Basics of anatomy, physiology, biology and ecology of dogs.
Origin of dogs through history. From prehistoric dogs to the emergence of new breeds.
Reproduction of dogs from sexual maturation, mating and giving birth.
Basics of heredity with basic breeding methods and molecular genetics methods.
Socialization and behavior of dogs.
Nutrition of dogs with emphasis on the diversity of certain breed and work categories.
Accommodation and care of dogs with the principles of care.
Most common dog diseases with prevention measures.
International Cynological associations, FCI division of cogs in groups with their characteristics.
Field and practice work.
- Undergraduate studies / BS Courses taught in English (Izborni predmet, 2. semestar, 1. godina)
Sati nastave: 60
Vježbe u praktikumu: 22
Dovoljan (2): 66-75%
Dobar (3): 76-85%
Vrlo dobar (4): 86-93%
Izvrstan (5): 94-100%
Two written tests, during the semester and seminar (written and presented work).
- Field work
International Cynological Exhibition (CACIB) as well as numerous other institutions (Rehabilitation Center, Agilite Polygon, Police Academy, etc.).
Choosing titles from the offered themes students independently and with supervision of teachers create and present seminar work.
Ishodi učenja i način provjere
|Ishod učenja||Način provjere|
|Importance of caninology in coexistence with man and the preservation of biodiversity.||Oral exam, seminar|
|Identify the positions and trends of caninology.||Oral exam, seminar|
|To establish and evaluate the working and breeding characteristics of individual breeds.||Oral exam|
|Conduct field and experimental work, study literature, and write a seminar paper.||Oral exam, seminar|
|Identify current events in caninology and present them.||Oral exam|
|Organize and guide caninological activities.||Oral exam, seminar|
Regular attendance to the classes.
Tjedni plan nastave
- Introduction to the module by introducing literature.
- General Cynology
- The history of cynology with origins of dogs - Origin of dogs through history. From prehistoric dogs to the emergence of new breeds.
- Basics of anatomy, digestion and dog nutrition - Basics of anatomy, physiology, biology and ecology of dogs.
- Reproduction of dogs (sexual maturation, spraying, mating, carrying and birth).
- Genetics in cynology - Fundamentals of inheritance with basic breeding methods.
- Breeding with prominent critical periods - Basics of heredity with basic breeding methods and molecular genetics methods.
- Socialization and behavior of dogs.
- Accommodation and care of dogs with the principles of care and accommodation and the most common diseases of dogs with prevention measures.
- International cynological Associations, FCI division of dogs in groups with their characteristics.
- FCI Group of Dogs I - FCI group 1-4
- FCI Group of Dogs II - FCI group 5-7
- FCI Group of Dogs III - FCI group 8-10
- Cynologic event, rehabilitation center, agility.
- Haack R. D. (1983). A Genealogy and Cynology of the Paternal History, Jerri Gayle Roden.
- Adams, D.R. (2003). Canine Anatomy: A Systematic Study. Wiley.
- Presentations and materials from professors.